- Getting diagnosed with genital herpes
- About herpes simplex virus
- Passing on/transmitting herpes
- Herpes recurrences explained
- Treating genital herpes
- Genital herpes, pregnancy and childbirth
- Other herpes questions
Donations needed! If this website has helped you, can you help us, please?
Sources used to create this information:
- BASHH: 2014 UK national guideline for the management of anogenital herpes https://www.bashh.org/documents/HSV_2014%20IJSTDA.pdf
- van Rooijen MS, Roest W, Hansen G, et al. Sex Transm Infect – Published Online First: [11-01-16] doi:10.1136/sextrans-2015-052213 http://sti.bmj.com/content/92/4/257.long
Shows 12-33% false negatives,especially in type 1 results.
- BMJ publications: A Scoular Using the evidence base on genital herpes: optimising the use of diagnostic tests and information provision Sex Transm Infect 2002;78:160-165 doi:10.1136/sti.78.3.160 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1744455/pdf/v078p00160.pdf
Shows false positive of 10% or more using the commercially available serology tests.
- Scoular A, Norrie J, Gillespie G, Mirr N, Carman WF. Longitudinal study of genital infection by herpes simplex virus type 1 in western Scotland over 15 years. BMJ 2002; 324:1366-67. http://www.bmj.com/content/324/7350/1366.long
This gives 60% with type 1
- Looker KJ, Magaret AS, May MT, Turner KME, Vickerman P, Gottlieb SL, et al. (2015) Global and Regional Estimates of Prevalent and Incident Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 Infections in 2012. PLoS ONE 10(10): e0140765. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0140765 http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0140765
- Vyse AJ, Gay NJ, Slomka MJ, Gopal R, Gibbs T, Morgan-Capner P, Brown DW. The burden of infection with HSV-1 and HSV-2 in England and Wales: implications for the changing epidemiology of genital herpes Sex Transm Inf 2000;76:183–187 http://sti.bmj.com/content/76/3/183.long
This gives 10% with type 2
- Looker KJ, Magaret AS, Turner KME, Vickerman P, Gottlieb SL, Newman LM (2015) Global Estimates of Prevalent and Incident Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Infections in 2012. PLoS ONE 10(1): e114989. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0114989 http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0114989
- Woolley PD, Chandiok S. Survey of the management of genital herpes in general practice. Int J STD AIDS 1996;7(3);206-211 http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1258/0956462961917492
“In a questionnaire survey of the management and treatment of genital herpes in the community by general practitioners (GPs) in 16 UK cities considered to have good access to genitourinary services, the mean number of cases seen per GP in the previous 12 months was 1.37 for first episodes and 0.96 cases for recurrent episode genital herpes.
- Stanberry LR, Bernstien DI, Kit S, Myers MG. Genital Reinfection After Recovery from Initial Genital Infection with Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 in Guinea Pigs J Infect Dis. (1986) 153 (6): 1055-1061. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3009643
- Patel R. An overview of herpes simplex. SPHERE 2010;25(3):8-9
“Diaries show that recognition of disease protects partners.”
- Anna Wald, MD, MPH; Andria G. M. Langenberg, MD; Katherine Link, MS; Allen E. Izu, MS; Rhoda Ashley, PhD; Terri Warren, ARNP; Stephen Tyring, MD, PhD; John M. Douglas, Jr, MD; Lawrence Corey, MD Effect of Condoms on Reducing the Transmission of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 From Men to Women JAMA. 2001;285(24):3100-3106. doi:10.1001/jama.285.24.3100 https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/193953
- Wald A. (2004) Herpes simplex virus type 2 transmission: risk factors and virus shedding. Herpes 11(Suppl. 3), 130A-137A. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15319082
“In at least 70% of cases, transmission occurs when the infected partner has no symptoms (i.e. asymptomatic shedding), and they may even be unaware that they have the infection. Although men and women shed the virus equally, women are more susceptible to acquiring it.”
- Phipps W, Saracino M, Magaret A, Selke S, Remington M, Huang M, Warren T, Casper C, Corey L, Wald A. Persistent Genital Herpes Simplex Virus-2 Shedding Years Following the First Clinical Episode. J Infect Dis 2011;203 2): 180-187. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3058740/
- Crespi CM, Cumberland WG, Wald A, Corey L, Blower S. Longitudinal study of herpes simplex virus type 2 infection using viral dynamic modelling Sex Transm Infect 2007;83:359-364
reduction in asymptomatic shedding in two years: DOWNLOADED
- BASHH and RCOG: Management of Genital Herpes in Pregnancy. 17/10/2014 https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/news/joint-rcogbashh-release-managing-genital-herpes-in-pregnancy–new-information-published/
- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/erythema-multiforme/ accessed 26-1-18
- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stevens-johnson-syndrome/ accessed 26-1-18
Issue date: January 2017
Review date: January 2020 Version 2
Sources used to create this information are available by contacting HVA on 020 7607 9661 or emailing [email protected]. We welcome your feedback on our information resources and whether you found them helpful. Email [email protected] with your comments. Ask for list of full references for the facts: [email protected]
The Information Standard states: The HVA shall hold responsibility for the accuracy of the information they publish and neither the Scheme Operator nor the Scheme Owner shall have any responsibility whatsoever for costs, losses or direct or indirect damages or costs arising from inaccuracy of information or omissions in information published on the website on behalf of the HVA. Disclaimer: note that the blog and other personal experience stories are excluded from the scope of IS certification.